Flying from EWR to Delhi? Get ready to go on the culinary journey of a lifetime. Located in the north of India, Delhi is not just the official capital of the country, but it is also the food capital. The city is a melting pot of various cultures, and this diversity is reflected in the food here. Delhiites love to eat, and you will get to know more about it as you start exploring the food scene in the city. From Majnu Ka Tilla to Paranthe Wali Gali to Chandni Chowk, there is no lack of places serving mouth-watering food. Once you have booked your EWR to Delhi flights, it’s time to get ready to eat to your heart’s content. So, just to get you started, here are ten of the most delectable dishes that you just have to try when you visit Delhi.
- Paratha: Parathas are a staple Indian breakfast served in most Indian households. Paranthas are basically flatbreads stuffed with a variety of vegetables mashed with Indian spices. From potatoes to cauliflower to cottage cheese, the options for stuffing are endless. If your mouth is watering just reading about it, then you need to head over to Paranthe Wali Gali in Chandni Chowk and taste the best paranthas in the country. The number of options here is endless, and you will have a new paratha to try for months to come.
- Chaat: Chaat is a Delhi special. The variety of chaats and the diversity of flavors will blow your mind. Chaat is one dish that is exploding with all kinds of flavors. There is no way that you can resist a nice plate of chaat. When you are in Delhi, the different kinds of chaat that you get will be enough to keep you going for days. Some of the best places in the city to enjoy a killer chaat include the UPSC building, Bittu Tikki Wala, Natraj Ki Chaat, and many more.
- Kathi Rolls: Kathi rolls come from the capital city of West Bengal, Kolkata. Although Delhi can’t take the credit for this one, you have to acknowledge the yummy Kathi rolls that you can find in the city. With plenty of variants exploding with delectable flavors, the Kathi rolls in Delhi will be a treat for your taste buds. Qureshi Kabab Corner, Nizams, and Khan Chacha are some of the favorites among Delhiites for this dish.
- Kebab: The influence of Mughal rule is not only visible in the history and architecture of the city, but also the food. Nothing reflects the Mughal flavors as well as Kebabs. These grilled chunks of meat marinated in spices are the perfect food for all times. Kebabs are a favorite among the city’s population, and there are plenty of places selling some of the best stuff in the city. Selim’s Kebab, Ghalib Kebab Corner, and Alkakori Alkauser are only a few of the many kebab places in the city.
- Biryani: If you think that you can only get this Mughal favorite in Hyderabad, then think again. Delhi gives Hyderabad a run for its money with some of the most delicious Biryani options in the city. From roadside shops to food chains to five-star restaurants, there is a variety of Biryani that you can find in the city. Al Kakori Al Kauser, Deez Biryani & Kebabs, and Dum Pukht are three of the most popular places to get a taste of this Mughal favorite.
- Butter Chicken: Butter chicken is a classic and a cult favorite. This is one dish that you will see on all non-vegetarian menus, no matter where you are. But, few people know that this classic dish comes from Delhi. First cooked at the Moti Mahal Restaurant in Daryaganj, this dish was first prepared some time during the 1950s. Ever since then, butter chicken has acquired the fan following that it enjoys today. So, head over to the creators of this dish and have a taste of the real thing.
- Nihari: The Mughal flavors in the city are endless, and Nihari is another one of the dishes that was introduced by then. This slow-cooked meat dish is best served with hot tandoori rotis, and this wholesome meal will keep you full for the day. A favorite of the royals at one point, today everyone in the city enjoys this hearty dish to kick start a fantastic day.
- Cchole Bhature: Cchole Bhature is undoubtedly one of the most popular Punjabi dishes that you can think of. It is also a favorite when it comes to breakfast in the city. It is common to find this dish listed on almost all menus across the city. Cchole Bhature is best enjoyed in the morning, as it is quite heavy. A plate of this deep-fried spicy dish will keep your stomach filled and your body fuelled for the entire day.
- Momos: This Tibetan dish is an unlikely but popular snack in the city. You will find plenty of vendors and small eateries selling a variety of this dish. From non-vegetarian to vegetarian options, this dish is loved by all. In recent years people have started experimenting with this crowd favorite, and now you can find a number of variants of this dish in Delhi. Majnu Ka Tilla is definitely the best place to enjoy an authentic plate of momos.
- Desserts: Once you are done with all the other dishes on the list, it is time to dive headfirst into the sweet world of desserts. If you have a sweet tooth, Delhi is the place for you. If you do not have a sweet tooth, Delhi is the right place to convert you. No meal is complete without a good dessert. Some of the best desserts to try in the city are Kulfi, Jalebi, hot gulab jamuns, motichoor laddoos, and rabri falooda.
Still got space for more? Well, do not worry one bit as there are still many more dishes and restaurants for you to try out in Delhi. All you need to do is book your EWR to Delhi flight tickets as soon as possible from My Tickets To India. Once you have made your EWR to Delhi reservations, you are all set to travel across the world and taste the authentic flavors of India.