When a filmmaker like QT talks movies, you listen. The director of 2012’s Django Unchained named his favorite ten films of the year so far and the results are stunning. You’ll notice several indie dramedies…
- Afternoon Delight (Jill Soloway)
- Before Midnight (Richard Linklater)
- Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)
- The Conjuring (James Wan)
- Drinking Buddies (Joe Swanberg)
- Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)
- Gravity (Alfonso Cuarón)
- Kick-Ass 2 (Jeff Wadlow)
- The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski)
- This Is The End (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg
… and you’ll notice a couple of strange action/adventure pics in there as well. Kick-Ass 2 and The Lone Ranger? I could be wrong, but I’m guessing QT is the only person in America over the age of 15 who has both of those flicks on any kind of top 10 list. Perhaps this list should not surprise us considering last year a Paul W.S. Anderson film sneaked into his annual rankings along with a Kevin Smith joint.
People like what they like. I enjoyed G.I. Joe: Retaliation, but I could never defend it against any kind of true criticism. I hope you also have a film that requires a good defense from attacks by the “taste police.” It builds character. Besides, if we all liked the same films, talking about movies would be extremely boring.
SOURCE: THE QUENTIN TARANTINO ARCHIVES